Monday

…greek


I’ve said it before, go right ahead and be eccentric, if you’re a millionaire. Different is an acceptable word in polite society but only if it’s coupled with the word “affluent or famous.” Otherwise, when you are tagged with the word different, they really mean “freak”.

Well-meaning parents battle the hard, cold, cruel world by arming a child with deflector shields against the barrage of sharp words—but we are never very successful.

Dear Me,
The conditioning didn’t work. I explained to the teacher that I made a special effort to yell at my children daily to minimize this very problem because I’m always looking ahead and striving to do what is best for them. The second-grader still has a paralyzing response to the teacher’s yelling. Maybe I should have slapped her too?

I’m working to defuse the explosive power of the word “Freak” so that when it is dropped over and over in the proximity of my children, they can survive the blast and in the ensuing barrage, escape with minimal damage.

Reality Bite: Combine freak and geek and get Greek and that is what this all is to me.

No comments: