Sunday

...Mayhem

To Me,
When my science teacher told me I’d need this stuff later, he didn’t say that the primary use would be to help my children pass science class. Does anyone else spot the sick cycle here? T.
There are some natural laws that govern the entire world, therefore it follows naturally in my perfect world, that I should be able to use the scientific method to test parenting theories.

I passed science like the rest of my high school courses, free of any mental imprinting, and so I’m learning basic scientific theory from my children. There seems to be a three step process consisting of formulating a hypothesis, then experimenting, and after it’s all said and done, evaluating the result.

And then, in the sure and likely event of failure, the process is begun with a different hypothesis. And here we go round again.

Dear me,
I’m tempted to adopt a new childrearing rule, “If at first you don’t succeed, there is always child number two to experiment with.” Thinking, T

When I am introduced to a new parenting concept, I incorporate it into the on-going plan and then test the new theory. If it is successful and it appears that behavior is actually being modified, it’s a done deal. Otherwise, it’s back to the testing lab for more modification, more experimentation and even more feedback.

The children hate this![1] They feel that each child should be treated equally. My thought is that only a fool repeats the same experiment over and over, expecting a different conclusion;[2] so why would I continue to use the same methods with each child, expecting a different result?

When children accuse me of being feckless and vacillating, and I charge back with the response, “My hypothesis and conclusions change with the introduction of new ideas. What do you do with new information?”

Reality Bite: And they respond predictably with “Huh?”

It’s my fervent hope that periodically the tables[3] will turn and my new experimentation will reach a logical conclusion, but that’s impractical, for each problem must be gauged empirically.[4] (Isn't science wonderfully confusing?)


[1] Another side benefit.
[2] Ben Franklin, trust me.
[3] The only possible use I can imagine for the periodic table.
[4] Practically, without regard for the variables of puberty.

No comments: